Understand the contrasting wildlife environments, scenery and cultures of Mount Kenya region, the Rift Valley Lakes and the spectacular Maasailand. On the way you will experience Wildlife, natural sites and the day-to-day life of Kikuyu farmers and Maasai peoples - visit their villages, homes and farms and be guided by them through their lands and life. The itinerary covers a wider range of environments, game parks and cultural experiences - all at a comfortable pace.
Accommodation for this itinerary is a mix of bush camps (fully supported), local hotel and a permanent tented camp in Masai Mara. The bush camping section on this trip allows us access to wilder areas. Although we generally don't include luxury lodges in our itinerary planning, Lodge accommodation can be arranged for most nights if required.
Day 1: Transfer to Bantu Mountain Lodge (www.mountainrockkenya.com/bantulodge)
Pick up from your hotel or Airport to Bantu Lodge on the lower slopes of Mount Kenya
1. Drive to the centre of central Kenya.
2. Enter the Mount Kenya forest.
3. Historical and nature forest walk to Mau Mau Caves.
4. Bird Watch
Overnight at Mountain Rock Lodge.
Day 2: Mount Kenya moorland trek.
Day trip to Mount Kenya
1. 3-4 hrs Trek up Mount Kenya on Sirimon trail up to OldMoses Camp 3300m.
2. Exploration of equatorial montane forest zones
3. Study birds and wildlife
Lunch @ Oldmoses Mountain Hut/Camp. Overnight at Bantu Mountain lodge 1950m.
Day 3: Sweetwaters sanctuary.
A Short drive to the nearby Sweetwaters Game sanctuary - a conservancy with abundant game.
1. Learn about conservation efforts
2. See rare and endangered wildlife species like the Chimpanzees and the Rhinos.
3. See the Big 5.
Overnight at Mountain Rock lodge.
Day 4: Journey to Nakuru
Drive to Lake Nakuru Park with a stop over at a coffee and tea estate.
1. Try your hands at coffee & tea picking.
2. Bird watching
3. Nature trails
Accommodation in a comfortable local hotel just outside Nakuru National Park.
Day 5: Lake Nakuru exploration then Lake Elementaita.
Full day Game drives in Lake Nakuru national park.
1. Learn about the flamingoes and other birds - the Lake boosts over 400 bird species.
2. See the rare rhino (both black and white species), the unusual Rothschild's giraffe and the elusive leopard among other animals.
3. Later drive to L. Elementaita to visit homes and farms.
4. Homestays can be organised here.
Overnight at lakeside eco-camp with beds and en-suite after a guided sundowner hike along the lakeshores.
Day 6: Hell's Gate National Park
Drive to Hell's Gate Park.
1. 3-4 hrs exploration game park on foot or cycle in the open.
2. Walk mindst of giraffes, gazelles, impalas, zebras, elands, hartebeests among others.
3. Explore the volcanic forms in the gorges, hot water springs and geysers.
Overnight at the eco-camp.
Day 7: From Naivasha to Maasai village near Masai Mara Game Reserve.
Drive from Hellsgate via Naivasha to an authentic Masai village just outside the Masai Mara Game Reserve.
1. Boat ride in Lake Naivasha
2. Close encounters with hippos
3. Birdlife experience.
4. Walk at an animal sanctuary to walk amongst waterbuck, giraffe, zebra, impala and gazelle.
5. Maasai village for cultural insights.
6. Dining under starlit skies.
Overnight in bush camp under the acacia trees.
Day 8 Walking excursion then drive to Mara Springs Safari Camp
Game walk excursion then drive to our permanent tent camp located just outside the Masai Mara Game Reserve.
1. Game Walk with Masai Guides.
2. Visit of a local school we support.
3. Bathe in a hot water springs at Maji Moto.
4. Optional walk up Naunare Hills for an awesome sun downer
5. Optional night game drive in the Siana area.
6. Optional bush Maasai BBQ dinner.
Overnight at Mara Springs Camp.
Day 9: Exploring Maasai Mara.
Full day game drive in Masai Mara Game Reserve.
1. Search for the big 5 and birds.
2. Learn about the habits and habitats of the various animals.
3. From July to September this is home to the great wildebeest migration dubbed the new 7th. Wonder of the World.
Overnight at Mara Springs.Day
10: Journey back to Nairobi
Optional hike up Naunare Hill to watch the stunning African sunrise as you do some bird watching. After breakfast is the leisurely journey back to Nairobi.
1. On the drive back to Nairobi stop at a viewpoint of the Rift Valley for a lesson in geological forms.